The history museum of the institute opened on the initiative of the former rector H. Topalyan, in October 1985, when the institute was celebrating its 40th anniversary. Marat Mkhitaryan, former director of the museum, has made a great contribution to the formation of the museum fund. The present director of the museum is A. Grigoryan.
The thematic exposition plan was made by professor E. Sahakyan. Four thematic expositions are presented in the museum: the prehistory of the institute, history, Olympic, World, Europe champions and perished student fighters.
The first exposition tells about preparing cadres of physical culture and sport in the republic before the institute of physical culture was founded /1920-1945/. Photos, materials, literature etc. are presented on the scoreboard.
The second exposition is dedicated to the period from 1945 to modern era. The activity of leading lecturers, workers, honored figures of physical culture is presented with many photos documents, various subjects and materials. The educational, scientific research, sport, social, political voluminous works, international sport connections of the institute, material-technical base etc. are reflected in the second exposition.
In the museum there are the souvenirs, which are dedicated to the institute by various delegations, famous athlete- graduates, veterans, foreign guests.
The third exposition is related to famous athletes-graduates: Olympic games, world and Europe champions
The athletes’ personal goods are shown in the showcase: sportswear, orders, medals, archive materials, certificates, documents etc.
The museum fourth exposition is dedicated to the institute’s student-graduates who had fought in volunteer detachments struggling for independence and freedom of Artsakh.
The process of collecting the materials of the museum is regulated by institute’s rector, professor V. Arakelyan. The whole idea of the fourth exposition belongs to the rector: on his instruction, a cross-stone monument was erected in the yard of the institute immortalizing the memory of the perished students. Now the work of renewing the museum material is led by the professor of sport management and social sciences sub faculty A. Harutyunyan. The history of the museum as educational material, is included in the educational program «the course of physical Culture and sport history .
The museum of the institute cooperates with European institutional museums association.